Madeleine sight denial


19 June 2009
Loughborough Echo


A convicted British paedophile has insisted he has only seen missing Rothley girl Madeleine McCann on posters and television. Suspect Raymond Hewlett, believed to have been in the area when Madeleine went missing, said: "I'd take a lie-detector test. I'll take any test you like. The only time I've seen Madeleine McCann is on missing posters. And I saw her on TV in a bar once. But I've never seen her in real life."

Final attempts by the McCann's detectives to interview Hewlett failed last week. Retired UK policemen Dave Edgar and Arthur Cowley flew to Germany hoping to speak to Hewlett, but negotiations between the private investigators and Hewlett's German lawyer broke down.

However in a newspaper interview he said: "It's obvious why they're interested in me. But they can all think what they like. "I didn't kill the McCann girl. It's the truth and it's never going to change."

Hewlett, 64, a former soldier who previously lived in Blackpool and Telford, has been treated for throat cancer in Aachen. He was jailed several times in the UK for sexually assaulting young girls, including an attack in 1978 where he put a gun to his victim's back.


0 Responses to "Madeleine sight denial"
 
Return to top of page Copyright © 2010 | Flash News Converted into Blogger Template by HackTutors